Respondus LockDown Browser & Monitor Download - Only for Online Students
ATTENTION STUDENTS: PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR INSTRUCTOR BEFORE USING THE BROWSER & MONITOR!
Respondus Lockdown Browser & Monitor
Respondus Monitor is a companion product for LockDown Browser that offers students the ability to take an online exam at any time and at a location of their choosing with the test session being recorded for later review by faculty. Monitor serves as an alternative to live proctoring, while still helping to protect the integrity of online exams at NTCC.
Cost to students for Monitor use is $10 per student per course, which covers as many exams as are required in that course. Payment for Respondus Monitor is made during the set-up process when starting a Respondus Monitor enabled quiz.
Online courses requires the student to either use Respondus LockDown Browser and a webcam during online, non-proctored exams or a proctored environment taken at the college. When using the LockDown Browser, you will be unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. A webcam is required with the use of the Respondus LockDown Browser for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available.
We strongly recommend using an Ethernet (wired) Internet connection while taking your exam in LockDown Browser. If you lose your Internet connection during the exam, it will lock up the browser and not allow you to save answers, move on to other questions, submit or exit the exam.
To install Respondus Lockdown Browser on your system:
- Go to the Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Click on the "System requirements" link to make that your computer system is compatible.
- Watch the "Before You Install" video that explains the basic feature of LockDown Browser and why it's used at your institution.
- Click on the "Install Now" button and follow the instructions during installation.
Taking an Exam in Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Locate the "LockDown Browser" shortcut on the desktop and double-click it.
(For Mac users, launch "LockDown Browser" from the Application folder.)
- If prompted to close a blocked program (ex. screen capture, instant messaging) choose Yes when prompted.
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Navigate to the quiz and selet the Take a Quiz link.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Answer button is clicked.
If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking a test with Respondus LockDown Browser, please contact your instructor.